Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Catchin' Coons

For real, I discovered we had a couple raccoons living in our attic. The pest guys that we wanted to come out and remove them said they could only come out and set traps, and, of course, charge us an arm & a leg for it. We just decided to do it ourselves. Ran down to Ace Hardware, bought a coon trap. Yep they sell those. The first night I tried peanut butter, carrots, & apples. The pest guy said peanut butter worked well. That didn't seem to be working, so we changed to sardines and honey covered cucumbers. On the 3rd night, bingo, got one. They have cute faces, but they're bigger than I expected. When I went out there, a couple others were hanging around the yard wondering what was going on. Anyway, guy #1 got hauled away to the boonies. Going for #2 tonight. Funny things you end up doing in life sometimes...
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Annie said...

Oh wow! Where did you take the poor sucker? And how did you come up with sardines and honey-covered cucumbers? Sounds like a weird pregnancy craving...is Carrie pregnant? Just kidding. That's really funny though. Good luck with the rest of them...

Debora said...

Did I ever tell you about the possum that got in the store? :)
I had to have someone else catch it- I was "chicken".

WhiteEyebrows said...

Last time I went camping, we left out a huge container of those nasty cheese puff balls. We had an ARMY of racoons come through that night, and they opened the bottle themselves and had a HEYDAY. So try cheese balls too, if you need a new bait. :)

Unknown said...

WE - you were NOT up at 5:53 this morning! believe me, I know. How in the world are you blogging in your sleep????

Debora said...

I wasn't up at 5:06 either- there is a place on everyones blog to set the time to match your time zone. (Aud your time says 6:16 :)

Mike said...

to answer annie's questions, the internet has answers to almost anything. read a few pages and off I go. Just drove the poor guy out into the countryside past a few hills, trying to get at least 3 miles away (to be sure it was out of its territory) and not near any farm houses. Ended up probably over 10 miles away.