Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Rallying Around the President Elect

Today was a historic moment for Americans. Record numbers cast their votes and people around the world were watching with eager anticipation. It was fascinating to overhear people around the office here in South Africa asking themselves how it could be possible that America was on the verge of electing its first black president. Perhaps this will provide us the much needed image make-over that will earn us more friends around the world. While I was skeptical about Obama's inexperience, I think his message of hope may be just what America needs. With two wars, an ailing economy and record deficits, the challenge he inherits is tremendous, so I believe it's now time to cast party politics aside and rally around our new president elect. He needs our support and prayers.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said!

Unknown said...

I completely agree. I heard the same kind of comments from people in Bulgaria, Turkey, and Egypt earlier this year. As I watched Obama's acceptance speech last night, I did not feel disappointed. Who knows, maybe I will later on - but for now - I have hopes for the next few years!

JTuffy said...

Your international travels are making you a softy huh? Or maybe it was too much time in California. : ) Personally, i'm shocked that the US has gotten to this point. (well not shocked, just dismayed) Good thing we are moving to Texas right now, one of the last red states in the nation.

Annie said...

I was thinking the same thing. I've always felt that we need to do what we can to support our president, no matter whether we voted for him(or her) or not. And he's going to need it, with the challenges ahead.