Wednesday, July 8, 2009

First Tomatoes

The first tomato I have ever grown in my life - and oh so sweet! I had heard that I would be surprised by the burst of flavor compared to the ones from the produce section at the store. That is true!






My little container garden. You can see the herbs on the table - rosemary and cilantro, which has produced prolifically for several weeks now. In the back is the chamomile, green peppers, and tomato plants. I never would have imagined that my 6 inch tomato plants would become 4 ft tall, seeming to bust out of the cage at every angle. The 2 ft sliver along the fence was the sunniest spot in the yard - gets about 6 hours/day.



Maybe that one is tomorrow's pick.










3 peppers nearly ready to harvest - I see some great stir fry coming our way.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Debora said...

Yeah! You were more successful than we were. We live in desert/bug/no nitrate Texas.

Annie said...

We love garden veggies! And look at that pepper - we haven't been successful with those.

Ron said...

Way to go you guys! Looks terrific.

Tyler and Rachael said...

wow--yummy!! I'm super jealous of your tomatoes---ours are growing and then being eaten, literally, down to the stem. i went to the nursery yesterday. they said it was a "tomato monster" that was eating them---and then, desperate to have at least 1 home-grown tomatoe, i sepnt a fortune on a "remedy". here's to hoping it works. congrats on all of your success!!

Jenn said...

For bugs, sprinkle the plants with self rising flour. It is non-toxic to us, but will make the bugs explode. Gross, I know, but cheap and EFFECTIVE.