Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Carrie's attempt at blogging


While Mike's been the blogger in the family, I thought I'd try it out too. Today is a holiday here - Happy Birthday to my brother. I took Nicholas to the toy store this morning and we had fun picking out some new toys. He really loves his Thomas the Train pool filled with balls. Next on our list is to go buy a backpack (one we can put Nicholas in) so we can go hiking around here...anyone have any suggestions? Oh, to add to Mike's booklist, I can recommend "The Invisible Wall" by Harry Bernstein. It's a well-written memoir about a Jewish boy growing up in England around World War I. The invisible wall refers to the religious divide between Jews and Christians on his street. While the book revolves mainly around Harry's life growing up, there's a side story about his sister falling in love with a Christian boy and the ramifications that has on his family. I really enjoyed it, but what amazed me was that the author published this first book of his at the age of 97. And he has a sequel out this year, "The Dream", which I'm planning to read. What a great tribute to the fact that age doesn't have to be an obstacle in achieving your dreams.


Hugs and kisses from South Africa!!

5 comments:

Halliday's said...

Carrie, I can't believe I found you! You live in South Africa??? Wow! That is so exotic! In fact, didn't you and Mike live in France or England for a little while too? And you have a Nicholas too?? I love that name. Our little guy is not so little anymore. He was baptized in August. Crazy how time flies! PS I'm on facebook, are you?

Halliday's said...

I just notice Nicholas' tee shirt. Hugh has one just like it! It was a gift from Grandma.

Jenn said...

Great Job Carrie! I wouldn't even call it an attempt. We like the Escape carrier. We bought ours online from Target (after several recommendations.) It keeps the little ones weight evenly distributed (not top or bottom heavy) and has lots of great features for baby and for mom and dad, namely extra, extra, extra padding on the shoulders. We absolutely love it, just wish we could use it more often! South Africa is a little out of reach, but a girl can dream.

Jennifer

Tyler and Rachael said...

what a super fun toy for Nicholas!! And I'm adding that book to my reading list--thanks for the recommendation!

Jenny said...

What? You guys live in South Africa??? You guys are WORLD TRAVELERS- WOW!!! We have friends in south Africa right now helping over there. What are you guys doing there?